Tuesday 6 October 2009

How social action and sunday meetings merge together!

The longer I am involved in social action the more convinced I am that the church is the answer for our world. In Isaiah 61 there is a promise that those who were once hidden in shame, guilt and in chains will be transformed and become those who strengthen the church. So I know where I want us to get to but I am realistic that there is a journey for people to get there.



So in the last 2 weeks meetings I have seen people who have been at the bottom of the pile (in care, broken relationships, crime, prison, addiction, mental health issues) in society serving at church on our welcome teams, praying out in meetings, taking on board truth they have heard, leading meetings. And at the same time I have seen others who have been at the bottom of the pile (in care, broken relationships, crime, prison, addiction, mental health issues) in society who 'make church meetings more interesting or more challenging' - so threatening to hit someone, angry and tearful about theirs lives, displaying a strong physical response to fear.



All above is the church at its best. In each of the 3 more interesting/challenging scenarios mentioned above I am aware that this could have been a major disturbance on one of our meetings. When I walked towards the person physical throwing himself about I am not sure how they will respond. Thankfully in that situation there was a positive conclusion. We must always be aware that by reaching out and helping those who are in great pain that there will be mess and will challenge some of our normal expectations. I know that when people feel accepted for who they are we have the potential to help them make the journey to the place where they can build the church!

No comments:

Followers