Tuesday 1 March 2011

Why I love the Welsh!

Happy St. David's Day!

1. There are the most beautiful beaches in Wales. Barafundle in Pembrokeshire is consistently voted one of the top beaches in Europe but I could list ten more superb beaches in Wales and I am sure there are many more that I have not yet discovered. The Beaches in Wales tend to be beautiful, non commercial, great for families to play with good surfing opportunities.


2. The mountains are stunning. Almost where ever in the principality you go there are Mountains; North and South but even in the middle. Snowdon is the most famous but there are many superb days out in the wild of Wales. Cadair Idris is worth the petrol money every time, Bristly Ridge is the best scramble I have ever done and on Pen y Fan, I had the best snow conditions I have had on a mountain.


3. My beautiful wife. Next week Rebekah and I will celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary and I enjoy each year with her more than the previous one. She is wonderful, my best friend and I am so grateful to God for her.



4. Great place for holidays. Since a very young child I have holidayed in Cymru and I have loved it ever since. And now my children have the same affection for the place as well.



5. Way they promote themselves. I have discovered that the Welsh have a fascination with being the biggest , oldest, best ... in Wales. I went to a museum in the Gower (or as my Welsh friend Tim insists I went to a museum in Gower - there should not be a "the" in front Gower) which claimed to be the oldest museum in Wales, the Tesco's in Swansea claims to the biggest in Wales. And on the radio recently a hospital spokesperson was talking about the snow but started with " we are the biggest in the whole of Wales". Enough said



6. Patriotic fervor. This especially applies to the National Sport of Knocking the English down to size. Even if the Welsh team are not playing the Welsh will celebrate if the English lose. You have to admire their tenacity.



7. The Millenium Stadium. The RFU managed to build a fantastic stadium that cost them maximum £100million whereas the English FA managed to build a fantastic stadium at 10 times the cost. Also because the English FA took so long to get the job done they had to use the Millenium Stadium for quite a few years.



8. The Alarm. I know at this point I run the risk of losing all credibility but I really like the band from Rhyl. Simply brilliant gigs full of passion and energy but never losing their Welsh-ness. The only Welsh language album I own is an Alarm album.



9. Talyllyn Railway. A narrow gauge railway that runs for 7 1/2 miles from the coast into the Mountains. Loved it as a child, worked on it as a teenager, love taking my children on it now. It is the perfect antidote to the busyness of life in London.


10. It is described as God's own country! This is according to my Father-in-law although if you listen to my friend Drew Land, Texas is God's own country. Perhaps we should check and see if they are both proper countries first!

Happy St. David's Day

No comments:

Followers