Friday 8 April 2011

The smell of poverty

When I went to Mumbai I was told to prepare for the smell that would hit me. Well on a number of occasions in London I have smelt far worse than anything I smelt in mumbai. Yesterday was an example of this - sadly in one of the houses I manage!! And because I wanted the causes of the smell out of the house immediately I cleared out the room. It was really foul, so if you are currently eating or feel squimish don't read this! Firstly there were the milk cartoons with various levels of milk in them, including one on the radiator. Next there was the blue bread After that it was the maggots in the ham Then suspicious looking eggs that I have now discovered are cochroach eggs. It was shockingly bad. I don't want to mention the rest. I cleared the floor in order to open the window to get some fresh air - but when I got to the window I was amazed to find it fully open. Ahhh! Late last evening and hours after being in the room I got a smell of it again. How did that smell stay with me? It is the smell of poverty. Of neglect. Reflecting a lack of self worth and ultimately a desperately sad end to this man's opportunity to rebuild his life! The room reflected his own heart!

No comments:

Followers