Tuesday 3 May 2011

Loving the Bikes

Yesterday, the May Day Bank Holiday, is one of my favourite days of the year. The reason is that for the last 4 (or 5) years I have done the Tonbridge triathlon on this day but because of my knee operation I was not able to do it this year and I really missed it! Instead I went on a family bike ride round Bewl Water in Kent. It was a fabulous day with a challenging 13 mile route, the paths are quite rough and some of the hills are decent climbs (especially for my 7 year old!). If you do go, try and avoid the outrageous parking costs! Also remember what I said in a previous blog about the price of tea - I paid £1.50 for a lukewarm cup of tea. Outrageous!

But the bikes that really make this Bank Holiday so special are the motorbikes that literally take over the A21 road to Hastings. In previous years when I have returned from the Triathlon and travelled North back to Catford we have watch thousands of bikes travelling South. But yesterday we were travelling South at the same time as the bikes. It was a fabulous experience, bikes of all sizes passing us, every lay-by packed with bikes and bikers, spectators on the bridges, people on deck chairs at junctions, on some sections all we could see behind us were tens of bikes. It was a mass participation event with seemingly no one person or committee or company organising it, I found it so inspiring! Let me make it clear, the only time I have ever been on a bike was in India on one occasion and I have no desire to start now but I loved being involved in this fabulous event. We waved at the people standing on the roadside and we waved at the bikers.

I don't know how many motorbikes were making their way to Hastings (a lot) but when people join together with a common purpose and act together it is a remarkable sight. Whilst watching the Royal Wedding I was surprised at how moving it was and I am sure this was due to the huge crowds that were involved. My conclusion is that we humans are drawn to large events, being part of something much bigger inspires us and lifts our sights. It's good for our souls!

1 comment:

Steve Booth said...

We bikers are a sociable lot, despite some of the negative press. If you fancy a pillion ride let me know....

Followers