Sunday 30 October 2011

Life in Catford - Lasting Fruit

The challenge of leading a project like the Jericho Road Project is that much of what I do is now through others rather than getting to do it myself.  I mean that I help others to help others!  However I started doing this work because I really like working with rough sleepers, alcoholics or in fact anyone who is down trodden and rejected people around them and now I get limited opportunities to do this.  Last Wednesday gave me such a moment.

A group of  9 young men from King's Church joined us at the Feast for the evening.  I took the opportunity to take 3 of them on a tour of rough sleeping spots in Catford. To be honest I am a little out of touch who is where but I knew enough to know where to go.  But after looking though a few car parks and some more specific spots we had met no-one and we were walking back to King's Church, when on the steps of Catford Bridge station we met Neil (don't worry, as always I've not given you the name he told me).  This man was drunk and collapsed, looking like he was staying for the night. He didn't know how to get back to his flat, couldn't face the future and encapsulated everything I love about working with drunks.  He had great stories to tell of crimes, of prison, the pain he felt about his son going to Afghanistan, he couldn't face sleeping in his flat so he slept in a cemetery.  We hit it off immediately.  Some of his story made no sense at all, some of the addiction story was scripted from the manuals, he was charming and offensive at the same time.  He talked about how hard a man he was, yet all I met was a lonely lost man desperate for hope.  He had no problem believing there was a God but there was no peace in his heart.  Sure if someone had threatened him, he would have attacked first but all we met was a weak and broken man. So we helped him to get to the correct platform to get a train home.

It was a delight to be doing what I've always loved doing.  This week I will follow up with Neil and try to provide help.  But the lasting fruit is probably with the 3 young men who were with me.  Life looks very different when you view it from the bottom of the pile and for a short while we shared this man's pain, we walked with him and experienced the frustration and confusion he felt.  We watched how others reacted to him.  I hope that this man's years of destruction will provoke this group of young men to dream big dreams for how they live their lives and how they help others.


No comments:

Followers